Friday, September 4, 2009

Competing against myself...

So don't know if you heard, but there's a little thing called the Toronto International Film Festival coming to town. Quick plug: I'm playing the lead role in a 15-minute film at TIFF this year called "Unlocked".

Here's the problem.

My own personal network is pretty extensive, but basically all my people are more interested in my TIFF film than my new play coming out. My world premiere for "Unlocked" is Sept 15, this show opens Sept 17. See the problem?

Exacerbating the problem somewhat is the sheer amount of publicity TIFF gets. Pretty much every publicist in the entertainment industry, every arts reporter, every entertainment blogger, etc is focusing on TIFF coverage. It's very difficult to be a play trying to get attention - when Megan Fox is in town.

I knew when we planned this production that we were going up against TIFF (and I hadn't heard about my film then), but it was the only time my producer was able to offer the free venue to us. Better to do a 16-show run for FREE during TIFF, then wait til November. That's what I thought anyway.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much publicity we'll be able to generate for this thing, but all we can do is put up the best show possible. Last night's "Fringe Show" rehearsal was awesome! 4 great actors playing 4 wacky characters. The chemistry is brilliant, and I truly can't wait to show off the fruit of our collective labour.

As for TIFF, here's hoping I meet Megan Fox at a party. And she decides she wouldn't mind seeing a play...

Bobman

1 comment:

  1. Heya. I know it's opening momentarily, but if you send me a press release I'll make sure to get it up. I'm also going to try and send a writer to the show, but am waiting to hear back. Oddly, it's a crazy week for theatre openings as well as TIFF. So, yeah, lots of competition...

    send it to megan at mooneyontheatre com

    ReplyDelete